Sunday, March 25, 2012

Christ, The Life Of All The Living

It's lent, but it doesn't feel like it. Over the last several weeks Laura and I have been traveling, and changing, and adjusting, and working, and...the list goes on.  To be honest, I have not made it to even one lenten service.  To make matters worse, amidst our travel, and my transition to New York, I have been unable to attend church on a weekly basis.  (Note: I am rather thankful for Hope Lutheran's video library so I am able to follow sermon's and Bible studies on a consistent basis.  As well, I am grateful for my good friend, Paul Soulek's, music from worship at St. John's in Seward, NE)

However, my lack of worship attendance aside, it is lent, a separate time set aside within the Christian church to prepare us for what is to come.  Lent offers a time, set aside from the "alleluias" of the church, to reflect on our own sinful nature, actions and repercussions of our sin - death.  Our disease, sin, is terminal, and only death awaits us.  "Terminal" is the cause of so much fear, anxiety and heartache in our society.  Terminal, within health care, carries a severe prognosis. Terminal: the disease is progressive; death is the end.

But lent is also a time of preparation, and as we reflect on the final consequence of our sin we also look forward to the final reward that awaits us.  Death is our consequence, but since our Lord has already endured death and the grave it is also our doorway to a final reward, more glorious than any earthly treasure.  He took our sins, our terminal diagnosis, to the cross on Good Friday. Therefore, even as Lent is a time to reflect and meditate on the suffering of Christ on our behalf it is also a time to remember the grace and forgiveness shown to us through the cross and our baptism. The focus shifts from my sin and what I have done to Christ's victory and what he has won!  (I know...I'm jumping the gun a little here...Easter is still 2 weeks away.) The diagnosis is terminal, but only in this present life. My long-term prognosis is heaven - thanks be to God.
 
 "If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Chris is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things that are above, not on the things that are on earth.  For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ  who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." Colossians 3:1-4

Christ, the Life of all the living,
Christ the Death of death, our foe,
Who Thyself for us once giving
To the darkest depths of woe,
Patiently didst yield Thy breath
But to save my soul from death;
Praise and glory ever be,
Blessèd Jesus, unto Thee.

Thou, O Christ, hast taken on Thee
Bitter strokes, a cruel rod;
Pain and scorn were heaped upon Thee,
O Thou sinless Son of God,
Only thus for me to win
Rescue from the bonds of sin;
Praise and glory ever be,
Blessèd Jesus, unto Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment