Friday, March 16, 2012

Welcome to New York

Day two is in the books. My head is still spinning as I try to make my way through New York (Manhattan and Brooklyn) whether in the subway or through some of the streets. Though I have managed to figure out my route to the clinic and "home" again any deviation creates confusion, followed by a quick reference to the map on my iPhone...and what a blessing that has been. In addition, my experience in the clinic has been good, allowing me several "firsts," from a 5.5 mile run from downtown Manhattan to Brooklyn with a pack on my back (harder than it sounds) to my first swim session with an ITCA (international triathlon coaching assoc) certified coach.

I have learned several things about New York, whether right or wrong: 1) there is always noise, 2) there is every type of fashion (good and bad) imaginable, 3) it's expensive, from the food to groceries to transportation, 4) New Yorkers are nicer than their common stereotype (though this could change with time). Keep in mind these perceptions are skewed from a Midwesterner's perspective. And though New York is fairly amazing I am still a smaller town boy at heart. Check back to see if my perspective changes during the 5 more weeks I'm here. ;)
View of the financial district of Manhattan with the Brooklyn bridge to the right

Over the next few weeks I welcome any advice/suggestions/comments about things to do, see, explore, experience, etc in the greater New York metro. As always, I'll continue to keep you updated, as well as I can, on my adventures and thoughts. I ask that you continue to keep Laura and me in your thoughts and prayers as we continue to experience, learn and grow over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment