Saturday, May 26, 2012

All Things Considered


After nearly a month of no updates it is only appropriate to share a few events that have occurred over the last several weeks (along with 3 photo albums). I’ll try to be chronological in my order, but random thoughts may interrupt that timeline.

After returning from New York City I was able to spend some time with Laura and the Duerr family in Warren, MI.  This was a much-needed break in the chaos that has been the norm over the last 9 months of clinical rotations.  Though the break was short it provided me time to catch up on sleep, enjoy food other than PB&J’s, cereal and fruit (my norm for the most part in NYC), and finally have an opportunity to see my wife for an extended period of time.

Following our time in MI we returned to Omaha, NE for “capstone” at Creighton University (a 2-week course which concludes the program at Creighton).  I was fortunate to be able to spend a considerable amount of time catching up with classmates, and, due to afternoons being mostly free, was able to further enjoy time with Laura.  It was great to share stories and memories with friends (all of whom will be missed).  On the weekend between the 2-week course Laura and I headed west to Seward, NE for her youngest brother’s graduation from Concordia University.  Ryan received the “outstanding student in theology” award, and we enjoyed a barbeque with family at Ryan’s following graduation.  (See pics)  The next day (Sunday) I ran the Lincoln National Guard half-marathon – a suitable time, but not what I was hoping for (~7:10 p/mile).  I had suffered a crash in NYC on my bike prior to returning to MI and my knees were still feeling the effects of those injuries.  (Hopefully I will be able to get in some quality training this summer…) 

After 2 weeks of class and presentations graduate hooding and commencement arrived. Ryan (Laura’s bro) and my parents came to support me and celebrate a lot of hard work coming to fruition.  I had been asked to offer a short reflection for the DPT 2012 class at hooding.  A slight microphone malfunction resulted in a rather ‘quiet’ speech…hopefully they were able to take something away from it…  Following hooding on Friday night Dad, Mom and Laura got to sit through commencement on Saturday AM (I told them they deserved an award for sitting through all the ceremonies).  Finally, 4 close friends and I had a barbecue in an Omaha park with family to finalize our celebrations – steak, chicken, salads, beer, etc. along with gorgeous weather helped to make it a great afternoon!! (Pics from the weekend festivities included here)

And the adventures aren’t over yet… Laura and I headed to Sioux Falls after graduation to spend 2 weeks with Dad and Mom Sattgast (included was an impromptu trip the Black Hills for fishing and relaxation – more pics included below).  I think we will keep busy as Dad and Mom could use some help around the farm (mowing, trimming, weeding, painting, planting, digging…you get the idea).  Because of high amounts of rain the mosquitoes are quite bad in Huron – not a fun welcoming gift.

So what now??  After Laura and I spend our summer living the nomadic lifestyle we will be moving to Las Vegas, NV…because, we will be stationed at Nellis AFB.  I have been accepted into the US Air Force and will be commissioned, shortly, as a Captain within the health corp as a physical therapist.  Laura and I are both extremely excited, and a bit apprehensive, about this new adventure.  It is an answer to many prayers (personally and professionally), though many more are still needed for the transition.  I will be attending COT (commissioned officers training) at Maxwell AFB in Alabama the end of August through September, reporting to Nellis following training.  An added blessing through this all is the fact that my Uncle and Aunt currently live in Henderson (a suburb) and have offered to help with some of the transition (my uncle just retired from the USAF after 27.5 yrs active duty).  As always, the Lord continues to provide for us both.

Laura and I both hope this update finds you well and enjoying the spring/summer. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to see many of our friends and family this summer as we travel the Midwest.  We’ll continue to do our best to keep you updated…once a week might be a bit of a stretch though…

“…and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God…” –Micah 6:8b

No comments:

Post a Comment