Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 2: part 2



Top left: This is a picture from the corner of our apartment, looking toward the kitchen and through that door is the staircase outside. To the left of the bike is a couch and coffee table and to the right from where this picture is taken is a dining area, with a high top table (that I love).


Bottom left: This is a shot back at our little bedroom area. To the right of this is the restroom door, and to the left of where I am standing is a large cabinet space that we are using as a catch-all.



So...now that you have that visual....imagine looking out every window and seeing snow covered mountains. Yep, this is my reality, and it is amazing!!! There is rarely a time that I look outside and feel sad, especially when I am used to looking out my window and seeing a parking lot and/or corn. Since being here, Joel and I have been able to experience many of the exciting opportunities that this area of the country has to offer, and we have not even scratched the surface!

Admittedly, I was a little nervous coming to Washington for 10 weeks, as I had heard about the rain and the "grey days". I tend to struggle, as so many seem to, during those weeks of endless cloud-cover. Let me tell you...Michigan has this place beat! The dreary days here pale in comparison, and I have no worries about the rain either, as it is not a constant occurrence. I never thought I would say this, but I would take rain over snow any day! Needless to say, I am one happy camper...

Side note: Joel and I got a library card the first week we were here, best thing we ever did (outside of getting marred...aww). Never underestimate your local library :)

The view from the backyard, sunrise this past Thursday...ah! :) If I would have waited 10 minutes, the entire sky glowed pink!

This past week proved to be a bit of a challenge. I now know what all of the business in Lynden are... and I know which of those businesses are hiring and those that are not hiring. None of them are, "...at this time, but please fill out an application and we will keep you in mind". This was not quite what Joel and I had hoped for (plan A), but I am enjoying my free time and thankful for a bit of a respite (plan B). One benefit of this time is I am trying some new recipes and since Joel and I have been trying to eat healthier I have even attempted to be creative. The other part of this past week that was a bit of a downer was Joel getting a sinus cold. Not fun. He is fighting it like a champ, but I know it is annoying because it is putting a damper on his training. Hopefully, he is on the upside, as he seems to be feeling better today. Yay for over the counter medicine, sleep, and airbourne!

Side note: I made lentil soup for the first time this week...success!


I can not end this update without addressing Joel's comments about my observations about the lovely people of Washington. However, I must first let you know that I am entirely aware that these are gross generalizations...and, as Joel so politely states, "Laura, you have an issue with hyperbole". My first comment/observation was, "everyone in Washington has a dog". Now, what makes this interesting is that Joel and I are slightly obsessed at this point in our lives with having a dog. We are itching to settle somewhere so that we can get one. This being said, my comment was perhaps more out of jealously than out of observed factual evidence. But seriously, a ton of people have dogs here :)


The second comment/observation was, "everyone has the same 'look' in regards to their clothing". Now, obviously this can not be true and again this observation was again stated somewhat out of jealousy. My comment was based on the fact that the people that I noticed all seemed to have a comfy/sophisticated/outdoorsy appearance. I would also have to imagine that if Urban Outfitters, met Eddie Bauer, met REI...that would be "the look" of Washington. And if I could redo my wardrobe this would be my "look" as well :) 

Stay tuned and thanks for reading thus far...much love to our families and friends that we think about often.



Oh and GO BRONCOS!







1 comment:

  1. Great apartment. Beautiful pictures. Love the library connection!

    ReplyDelete